Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Revisiting an old favorite .....

For Paula's Sewing Challenge.

With Christmas, visiting family, New Year, and having my girls home for a while I'm just getting round to posting my piece for Paula's current challenge - you're favorite quilt or wall hanging.
"County Hearts" started life as a class I taught a few years ago on how to do blanket stitch applique. I gave the participants two different patterns in the same colors for them to "have at it." It was a lot of fun and once everyone got in the swing of things it was a fairly simple method to learn.
I made this wall hanging well after the event with some of the left over blocks. Then it sat ..... and sat ... and sat ..... till the day finally came when I found (borrowed from another quilter) a fleur-de-lis quilt design I really liked to hand stitch on the cream blocks. I finished it near the end of 2008 and now that we have some wall re-painting done it will finally get hung up.
(I had enough of the heart blocks to do the class, wall hanging, large cushion, fancy door hanger for my sister-in-law, and blocks to a friend to make her own cushion.)
So this is one of my absolute favorite wall hangings. It makes me smile every time I look at it and the cushion and brings back many fond memories.
Paula's link - http://sewingchallenges.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL, quilt! I love the color and the design. I have a quilt I started years and years ago...I need to pull it out and finish it...soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the hand work it really makes the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. The fleur de lis quilting really sets it all off. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely colours


    Have a good New Year

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment. Have a fabulous day.